Filed under: Active Games
This is a fun update to dodge ball that has grown quite popular. It's fast paced and high energy - great for wearing kids out! While dodge ball favors aggressive, athletic players, gaga ball adds enough randomness that even weaker players can often win. This is best played with a bouncy kickball, but a foam ball can be used for younger kids.
Traditionally played in an octagonal pit, it's easy to setup a course using standard fold up tables. Lay them on their side, table top inward, and pull the legs out to prop them up.
- Everyone jumps into the pit to start, with a hand on the wall.
- A leader or referee throws the ball up in the air in the middle.
- If it's a bouncy ball, everyone yells GA on the first two bounces, and GO on the third bounce, at which time they can leave the wall and game play begins.
- If using a foam ball that doesn't bounce, the referee can yell GA-GA-GO to time the start.
- It's every man for himself. Hit the ball, but don't catch it, don't throw it, and don't kick it.
- If the ball touches you below the knees, you're out! Leave the course immediately.
- Any hit above the knees or below the face is fair.
- Use the walls wisely, and don't be afraid to leap over the ball!
- If the player leaves the arena, the player who hit it is out.
Some variations on the rules:
- If the ball is a pop fly, another player can catch it to get the hitter out. We've found this leads to too much debate over what is a pop fly and what is not, so we leave it out.
- A player cannot 'double hit' the ball. After hitting it, another person must touch the ball before the first player can hit it again.
- Throw a second or even a third ball in the pit. This is a great way to speed up a game if it's coming to a standstill.
|Age Range||8 - 18 years old|
|Group Size||6 - 100|
|Location||indoors large space outdoors|
|Play Time||5 - 30 minutes|
|Setup Time||5 minutes|
|Required Props||foam ball tables kick ball|